March 2, 2013

Men's Basketball Falls 92-80 to Georgia Southwestern, Locks up No. 2 Seed in West

AMERICUS, Ga. – The University of North Georgia men's basketball team locked up the No. 2 seed out of the West Division in the upcoming Peach Belt Conference Basketball Championships Saturday, but still fell 92-80 at the hands of Georgia Southwestern State University Saturday evening in the regular-season finale.

The Hurricanes (13-13, 9-10 PBC) were playing for the No. 3 seed when they took down the Saints (15-11, 10-9 PBC) after Clayton State University fell Saturday at the hands of Columbus State University.

Despite the loss, the Saints will be making their first appearance in the PBC Tournament since the 2009-10 season. North Georgia will be the No. 2 seed as Young Harris College, which finished the regular-season second in the West Division, is inelligible for post-season play. The Saints will take on the No 3 seed out of the East, Armstrong Atlantic State University.

The Saints shot 40.7% (24-59) from the field and 34.8% (8-23) from three-point range, but the Hurricanes were a solid 53.1% (26-49) from the field and hit seven of their 13 three-point attempts (53.8%).

North Georgia was led by four players in double figures including Lamar Richardson's 16 points. The junior guard shot 6-15 from the field and made a game-high-tying three treys, beating out Scott Windom by one point for most points scored on the team.

Windom ended the night shooting 5-10 from the field and 4-5 from the charity stripe as he netted 15 points and brought down two rebounds. Chris Tanzy had 12 points and Ishmael Hollis ended the contest with 11 points and eight rebounds.

Georgia Southwestern received a double-double performance from Milos Kleut as he scored 21 points and corralled in a game-high 10 rebounds.

Jamon Hawkins led all scorers with 22 points while Matt Shaw finished with 20 and Alan Arnett ended the 40 minutes with 19.

The Hurricanes led nearly from the opening tip through the end of the game, but the Saints did manage a short lead early in the first half.

From there, Georgia Southwestern was able to hold onto the lead for the remainder of the game, extending their lead out to double-digits at several points, including their largest lead of 17 with 4:34 remaining in the game.